Accumulated Orchid Wisdom
Orchid people love to talk about orchid culture, how they grow a particular plant, how do you get rid of (insert pests name), and don't even get some people started on the topic of fertilizers. In the distant past you got this information 1st hand from talking to people or reading books and magazines. Talking to people is still an excellent way to get this information, but the Internet has largely eclipsed the printed word. So these pages are our way to try to distribute our accumulated wisdom of what works here in the Monterey area. Just remember advice, like politics, is local. What works indoors in the Midwest won't work outdoors in southern Florida or California. Your local conditions, climate, growing situation, experience, and temperament will effect the advice you get, or give. So with the disclaimer out of the way....
Advice on Specific Plants
How to Find out Anything About Orchids
Sources or more Information
- American Orchid Society (AOS) front page
- AOS culture sheets These are a good place to begin looking for information on orchid culture
- Orchid name pronunciation.
- The Orchid Mall Perhaps) the best collection of orchid links around.
- Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia Jay Pfahl has collected information on over 9000 species, most with pictures. A species lovers goldmine of information
- Kew Monocot List This is the authority on what names are valid and which ones are not.
- The RHS International Orchid Register The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) is the main registry for hybrid orchids.
- Tiger Lilly Florist Not from here, and need an orchid arrangement delivered here? Give them a call.
We welcome your tips, tricks, links, etc. email John to tell the world how you grow.